Project Outline:
In this photography project, I learned effects of depth of field and motion blur on photographs. I will take shots which benefit from 1) Shallow and maximum depth of field 2) Motion blur that emphasizes the feeling of motion.
Class Notes:
In photography, the depth of field is defined as the amount infront of and behind our focus point that is also in focus. There are three ways to change the depth of field. The easiest way is adjusting the size of the aperture. If the aperture is wide, such as f/3.5, more light passes through the lens, and the area which appears in focus becomes smaller. This means, by using a shallow depth of field with wide aperture, the lens focuses and emphasizes the subject while de-emphasizes the foreground and background. Small depth of field with large aperture is frequently used in portraits. In contrast, by using a small aperture, such as f/16, less light passes through the lens, and the area which appears in focus becomes lager. By using the large depth of field, with little amount of light, the lens focuses the entire image. This is often used in landscapes. In addition, if the light in which picture is taken is really bright, the less light would be needed to expose properly, and the photographer should use bigger f-number. In contrast, if the light is dimmer, more light is needed, and the smaller f-number should be used. The second function that affects the depth of field is the focal length. Longer the focal length makes the picture shallower, because they enlarge the background relative to the foreground (due to their narrower angle of view). The last way to change the depth of field is the distance to the subject from camera. Closer distance makes shallower depth of filed. Inversely, far distance makes larger depth of field.
Class Notes:
In photography, the depth of field is defined as the amount infront of and behind our focus point that is also in focus. There are three ways to change the depth of field. The easiest way is adjusting the size of the aperture. If the aperture is wide, such as f/3.5, more light passes through the lens, and the area which appears in focus becomes smaller. This means, by using a shallow depth of field with wide aperture, the lens focuses and emphasizes the subject while de-emphasizes the foreground and background. Small depth of field with large aperture is frequently used in portraits. In contrast, by using a small aperture, such as f/16, less light passes through the lens, and the area which appears in focus becomes lager. By using the large depth of field, with little amount of light, the lens focuses the entire image. This is often used in landscapes. In addition, if the light in which picture is taken is really bright, the less light would be needed to expose properly, and the photographer should use bigger f-number. In contrast, if the light is dimmer, more light is needed, and the smaller f-number should be used. The second function that affects the depth of field is the focal length. Longer the focal length makes the picture shallower, because they enlarge the background relative to the foreground (due to their narrower angle of view). The last way to change the depth of field is the distance to the subject from camera. Closer distance makes shallower depth of filed. Inversely, far distance makes larger depth of field.
Example of shallow depth of filed:
In photography, motion blur happens when a photographer uses slow shutter speed, and does not stop the motion. For example, when a photographer photographs someone whose moving, the subject will move a very small distance in 1/60 of a second. But in half a second he or she could move half a meter, and that’s what the camera is recording. This motion blur gives an effect that emphasizes the movement and action. There are several ways to take motion blur pictures: shutter speeds, camera shake, subject motion, pans, and pull zooms. In order to take any kind of motion blur pictures, photographers should use slow shutter speeds and have a long exposure. However, sometimes a photographer might not want a motion blur picture, but accidentally takes it. This is mainly caused by camera shake, which is from trembling hands. No matter how steady people's hands are, people cannot hold something motionless for very long. However, by using a long exposure, a photographer can take various styles of motion blur. One of the most common way is to take objects that are moving rapidly, while the camera is still. Second way is panning, which is pretty similar to the first one. Panning is a technique that allows the subject to be in focus while the background is blurry. This technique is great to show motion. The basic concept is to pan the camera, or move it with the moving subject, and take subject at the same place in the frame. This allows the subject to stay in focus. However, this usually only works for subjects moving in a straight line. Also, any parts of the subject that aren't moving in the same direction will be blurry. Example of panning:

The last way to take motion blur pictures is called pull zooms. This is an effect where the subject looks like it is either moving towards or away from the viewer with motion lines. To use this effect, a photographer should again set the shutter speed to be a longer exposure. Then, he or she should use zoom lens to either zoom in or out from the subject while he or she takes the shot. This means, between when the shutter opens and closes, the photographer should zoom in or out from the subject.
Researched Notes and Images:
I found helpful online sources:
http://www.photopoly.net/depth-of-field-in-photography/
The site tells general ideas of depth-of-fields and the ways to use them efficiently.
http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photography-fundamentals/an-introduction-to-mastering-slow-shutter-speeds/
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/using-the-zoom-effect
These sites give general informations of different types of motion blur pictures.
I found images from dpreview challenges (http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/)
The site tells general ideas of depth-of-fields and the ways to use them efficiently.
http://photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photography-fundamentals/an-introduction-to-mastering-slow-shutter-speeds/
http://www.digital-photography-school.com/using-the-zoom-effect
These sites give general informations of different types of motion blur pictures.
I found images from dpreview challenges (http://www.dpreview.com/challenges/)
The title of the piece is “Web Defender” from the artist, stphq. This photo was taken at the artist’s garden on Sep 8, 2008. The scene of this image is a spider with clear details. Because the photo was taken in a very close distance with a shallow depth of field, the spider is in focus, while the other subjects at the back of the spider are out of focus. The artist purposely used a shallow depth of field to highlight his or her main subject, spider, and to get rid of distractions in the background. The setting the photographer used was aperture of f/3.7, ISO 200, and 1/104 sec shutter speed. The artist was able to make a shallow depth of field by using a wide aperture, f/3.7. Also, by using a fast shutter speed, the photographer was able to balance the lighting. However, artist edited his or her photograph by cropping and adjusting.
The title of the piece is “Veteran, Biker, Parader” from the artist, levyj413.This photo was taken in New York City on Nov 11, 2006. The scene of this image is an old biker in front, who is in focused, while other bikers and paraders are in motion blur. The setting that the photographer used was aperture of f/5.6, ISO 50, and 1/20 sec shutter speed. The photographer was able to make a shallow depth of field by using a wide aperture, while he or she purposely used slow shutter speed to emphasize the motion. The technique that is used in this picture is panning, where the subject is in focused while the background is not. Here, many viewers will be bewildered about the setting, where we all know that slow shutter speed does not go with wide aperture, because the picture will be so bright. But ISO clarifies the photographer’s setting. He or she used ISO of 50, which is really low, to balance the lighting. The slow shutter speed and wide aperture could make the picture pure white, but he or she lowered ISO to reduce the light that comes into the camera.
The title of the piece is “Ascension” from the artist, Brent_S . It is from the source, http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=976953. This photo was taken in Seattle, WA, USA on Sep 30, 2011. The scene of the image is a guy ascending the stairs with a motion blur, which looks like he is on an invisible escalator. This dramatically emphasizes the motion. Also, the color contrast between red, green, and his yellow coat makes the photograph more interesting. The setting that the photographer used was a small aperture, f/14, with ISO 50, and 1/60 sec shutter speed. The photographer purposely used wide depth of field to focus on wide range of photo, while he used slow shutter speed to emphasize the motion. Slow shutter speed balanced the lighting. (I'm sorry, but I could not copy the picture. Please go into the link to see the picture) Wide Depth of Field:
Motion Blur:
Final Selection(s):
I chose these pictures as my final selections, because they are my favorites. These pictures are my desired results, and they clearly illustrate my learning in this class. The first picture efficiently shows my purpose of blurring out the background to lead viewers' eyes on the subject. The second picture effectively depicts my purpose of focusing on the wide depth of golf course to show where my sister is hitting the ball to. I also like the background, where the hills and the sky are in balanced. The shadow of my sister makes the picture more attractive by making a contrast to the green grass. The third and fourth photos are great examples of subject motion. For third photo, I like the way subject is in a movement, while the other 2 other people at the back are in focused. This gives an effect that emphasizes the movement and action. The fourth photo is my mom who is descending the stairs with a motion blur, which looks like she is on an invisible escalator. This dramatically emphasizes the motion. I really love them.
Motion Blur:
Final Selection(s):
I chose these pictures as my final selections, because they are my favorites. These pictures are my desired results, and they clearly illustrate my learning in this class. The first picture efficiently shows my purpose of blurring out the background to lead viewers' eyes on the subject. The second picture effectively depicts my purpose of focusing on the wide depth of golf course to show where my sister is hitting the ball to. I also like the background, where the hills and the sky are in balanced. The shadow of my sister makes the picture more attractive by making a contrast to the green grass. The third and fourth photos are great examples of subject motion. For third photo, I like the way subject is in a movement, while the other 2 other people at the back are in focused. This gives an effect that emphasizes the movement and action. The fourth photo is my mom who is descending the stairs with a motion blur, which looks like she is on an invisible escalator. This dramatically emphasizes the motion. I really love them.
Description of Learning:
Although this unit was challenging, I really enjoyed it. I was really grateful to earn a lot from it. Before this unit, I really wanted to take portrait photographs, but didn’t even know how to take great portrait photos. The only thing I knew was to use shallow depth of field by using a wide aperture. During the unit, I learned the most important lesson in portrait photography: focus on the subject’s eyes. By learning this lesson, I could take advanced portraits that have emotions. However, I knew nothing about motion blur photographs. After hearing general ideas of motion blur, I thought it would be easy to take. This churlish thinking was soon devastated. As I practiced shooting motion blur pictures, I figured out the difficulty of taking desirable motion blur pictures. However, by getting advices from internet sources and teacher, I finally could take attractive pictures.
Development Options: If I were to shoot the images again, I would take more pictures on Bangkok city with wide depth of field. During the unit, I did not use small apertures as much as large apertures. This caused most of my pictures to have shallow depth of filed. I had a lot of portrait pictures, while I only had few landscapes and buildings photographs. If I have an opportunity, I really want to use wide depth of filed more. Also, I would like to try taking more effective pictures by using all the compositions I learned in the class.
Development Options: If I were to shoot the images again, I would take more pictures on Bangkok city with wide depth of field. During the unit, I did not use small apertures as much as large apertures. This caused most of my pictures to have shallow depth of filed. I had a lot of portrait pictures, while I only had few landscapes and buildings photographs. If I have an opportunity, I really want to use wide depth of filed more. Also, I would like to try taking more effective pictures by using all the compositions I learned in the class.












댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기